Wednesday, July 29, 2009

oh... there she went...

It's not that I'm MAD at myself or even REALLY shocked. I'd say more disappointed. 

One thing I've been proud of since being pregnant with Layla, was how WELL I took care of myself during those 9 months and after. Unfortunately I can't say the same for this one. Sorry baby. 

I was very determined with my first pregnancy to eat only the best. Fruits and Veggies, whole grain and an appropriate amount of dairy.. yada yada. I kept a food journal, because I'm a journal kind of person anyway. And ate ONE sweet a day. And by one, I mean ONE! On top of eating by the book, I also walked daily. Sometimes twice daily! Once in the morning and once at night. I loved it! I felt so good! I knew I was doing something great for my baby and myself. After Layla was born, I stuck with my good eating and shed the weight instantly. Within the week post delivery, I was in most all of my pre-pregnancy clothes! It was amazing! And now looking back, I HAVE to owe it all to my incredible determination (and breast feeding around the clock definitely helped!)

Now.... I step on the scale periodically and almost fall off in shock of how quickly the pounds have crept on!! I am seriously 3 lbs. away from weighing the same as I did when I delivered Layla! Kinda scary. What is it that makes this time so different?? Layla maybe? I do constantly think about what she's eating or if she's had a snack. And her snacks almost always become mine.... what?? With the economy the way it is, one cannot be wasteful! I've also realized that I am a MUCH better cook and baker than I was 2 years ago. I've mastered many recipes that really do me in... like cookies, cobblers, cupcakes, pancakes, banana bread. I feel like I've found the perfect recipe for so many yummy treats, that it's hard not to delight in it! AND lastly, the lack of exercise. Well, I do walk still a few times a week, but do I do it with the same vigor and excitement that I did before??... umm NO. I often go for half the time or end up taking a convenient short cut "to see the flowers". 

So now. I've come a little past the "half-way point" in my pregnancy and am realizing that I am NOT living my best life OR giving my baby the best I have to offer her. So. What to do. Well I'm making a promise to myself to be healthy. No way would I try to lose weight or do anything dumb and crazy like that. BUT I can be smart. Here are some of my new promises to myself and  new baby:

  • I will not eat 6 pancakes at a time. NEVER again. 
  • I DEFINITELY will not eat the leftover pancakes for lunch and add some in at dinner too! Eww gross, no way.
  • I will do some form of REAL exercise everyday and NOT count things such as dancing with Layla, blow drying and curling my hair, or bringing groceries into the house as my work out for the day.
  • I will NOT buy candy and hide it in my pantry for my sneaky fingers to snack on throughout the day. REGARDLESS of candy sales! Actually, I will NOT even look at the candy ailse for a while. 
  • I will not eat 4th and 5th meals. I'll stick to the recommended three with healthy snacks. What am I, a big huge man? (that's all I could think of for examples of people who need to eat a LOT of calories)
  • No more drive through anything! Except for the bank..... and pharmacies.... and okay maybe shaved ice too.
  • I WILL buy a VARIETY of fruits and vegetables. Not just the standard apples and bananas. Maybe I'll buy one new fruit and veggie week. Oh, and make sure to actually eat them.
Well, that's all I can think of for now. Good start right?? I guess I should be asking you to wish me luck. I don't know how I'll keep this up through a move AND while staying at someone else's house...

NO! I hear excusing creeping up already! SHOOO!! I'm a determined Mother who cares about her health and the health of her family!

3 comments:

Zak and Allysia said...

I did the opposite and was far less than healthy my first pregnancy...and breastfeeding did nothing for my figure but make it impossible to lose the weight. The second pregnancy I've been determined to eat better, and I have, and to eat according to my hunger cues rather than eating because I want to or think I should. I've not been perfect but I'm 33 wks and 20 lbs under my delivery weight with my first. We still have a few weeks left but it's nice hearing people say that I don't look 8 months preggers!

Orometua said...

You are beautiful. Don't lose your sense of humor. I like the Huge man reference. It made me think of Shrek. You'll be just fine. I think you're on top of things. Nice list of goals. Pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I had waffles for breakfast.

I love you
Dad

- said...

that was hilarious! just made me laugh! dont be too scared, you'll still loose the weight. maybe not in a week - I cant believe you did that with Layla- just un heard of- but it will come off fast cause you'll have 2 to chase after and worry about! take care and dont worry too much about the scale