Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When you're trapped inside your house...

If your car is burried, like so:

(This is even AFTER we dug it out.... just a few days later)
Seriously!!! I am so tired of this evil white stuff! It makes my car die and leaves me and my rambunctious 1 1/2 year old at home to fend for ourselves. Although... I have to say that it has forced me to become a little more creative. I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I had NO idea how to use it. I still am not 100% sure I'm using it correctly. I don't have any fabric, pins or even a decent pair of scissors, but that makes it even more exciting! Searching the house for materials or creating something out of nothing (well I guess that's impossible, but you know what I'm saying). So far I've made:
  • A tiny quilt (made from a couple of old pillowcases that we had lying around) For Layla's Babies.
  • A sundress for Layla's water baby (although Layla prefers this baby naked and as soon as she saw it wearing clothes, she made sure to strip her).
  • A quilted purse/bag for Layla or her baby (it's really small)
  • A tiny, tiny pillow 
  • and.... a shirt for Layla! 
Surprised you there, didn't I? Okay, maybe not, but I certainly surprised myself! Seriously this is a girl who didn't even know what a bobbin was and didn't even realize that thread came from underneath the needle! I was looking through my closet for old clothes that I could use to play with and saw a cute shirt that had a rather large hole at the bottom. I didn't want to part with the shirt being a shirt, so I just miniaturized it. I cut it up and sewed it back together smaller. Ta da! Please realize that this is after a long day of playing... it's a little scrunched from Layla doing her daily flips and handstands. 



Wait... Did you really think she could do those? Nope. But she's working on it.
Oh, and I used a lot of my scrap ribbon to make a few bows. Just out of pure boredom.



I'm not really sure how modest this shirt would look without another one underneath it, but I think it's actually cute enough to wear out in public... assuming that we'll get out in public again someday.

5 comments:

Kyle and Alyssa said...

Good for you, Jessica! You have really gotten some fantastic sewing skills! Keep it up and you could sew some trendy jeans!!!See ya Friday.

The Bedke Fam said...

holy cow! when was your car that buried? i've noticed it hasn't moved for a while :)

good job with all those projects! you've been so creative lately. awesome!

oh and i saw you at the grocery store on wednesday. i yelled hi but i had kinda lost my voice so you couldn't hear me. i was gonna run say hi but a. i was trying to hurry and b. i didn't want to make you sick. sorry!

Schows said...

Wow! Nice job with the shirt!!! Its so cute! As if your not a sewer! That is very impressive

blank said...

I cant beleive you have that much snow. THat is so crazy...ps I love that little shirt you made, its adorrilbe

- said...

ok im totally impressed- sewing clothes is hard- especially without a pattern- especially miniature, good job!