Sunday, June 15, 2008

I Survived!

Even though this little blog isn't as impressive as my friend Michelle's and how she just finished a half marathon, I feel like I accomplished something similar! I just babysat a family of 5 super active kids plus Layla for 5 days!! And we survived! This family is in our stake and has known Tanner's family for a long time. I was a bit apprehensive when they asked me to watch their kids for a week, while they went out of state, but I ended up accepting the challenge. It seriously was one of the craziest weeks of my life!

Here are a few highlights: 
(I really wish I had pictures!)
  • I get back from playing at the park with the girls and find the kitchen covered in raspberry jam. Globs of jam were dripping down counters, covering the floor, splashed through the refrigerator, and all over the kitchen rug. Their 10 yr. old son was frantically mopping it up with every dish towel he could find! 
  • I arrived at their home the first day at 7:30am. Planning on getting everyone ready for school and out the door on time. I am greeted at the door, first thing, by their 8yr. old saying, "Gum. It's everywhere!" What do you mean, gum? She lifts her shirt and shows me her arms, which are all covered in messy, sticky gum. "oh yeah," she says, "It's in my sheets too."
  • The kids weren't too pick with meals, which made things a bit easier. Cereal was a common breakfast, but don't ask any of the kids to open any container by themselves... it's a dangerous thing. We were out of milk, so I went out to the fridge and brought in a new jug. This plastic carton had a foil cover that needed to be removed before you could pour any out. Their 8yr. old proudly exclaims, "Oh, let me!" (Okay, no big deal. I'll let her open it and feel like she's helping out) Next thing I know, she's got a HUGE knife in hand, stabbing the top as if trying to murder the thing! 
  • I've learned that if you don't have any drums handy to go with your drumsticks, walls work quite nicely. But you must pound loudly! This game is especially nice if there is a baby sleeping somewhere nearby.
  • Their 5 yr. old was great at remembering to wipe all the remains of butter from the butter knife onto the the counter. I don't know how many stains my shirts accquired from the counters over there.
  • Shoes, I've learned are optional in all outdoor activities. And should NEVER be worn while playing in dirt or mud. 
Really though, these kids were really sweet and kind. They all did their best to help out with Layla and be good for Tanner and I. They had us cracking up many times and Layla absolutely adored the girls. It was a great learning experience. I hold a lot of respect and admiration for their parents. Now I know that I could manage if we added a few more kids into the mix. This has also really made me appreciate where I'm at right now and what I'm doing with my life. I love my little family right now though and I want to savor every moment that we have together as "us".

4 comments:

Greg and Michelle said...

I think that what you did is even more of an accomplishment than running a half marathon. That only took me 2 hours and you did this for 5 days! I am very impressed and loved the way the descriptions of the week. It sounds like it was quite eventful! I am glad that you survived!

- said...

I cant imagine going from 1 to six kids! that would be intense. Im glad you made it! Aren't you glad you just have them one at a time!

Neeley said...

You are amazing! You are also very nice.

Laura said...

One word. Awesome. Haha! I laughed the whole what through that post. You're so funny.